Experiencing a pet emergency? Call us at 562-863-2522 or Get Directions

Our hospital will remain open during the COVID-19 pandemic. Learn More

Foods That Are Hazardous To Dogs

Share

Like people, dogs love food. They are especially attracted to human food and hope that you will share with them. While those big puppy eyes are tempting, use extreme caution when sharing your food with your dog. Some “human” foods can be very dangerous to dogs, though humans can eat them without issue.

Even if you do not give your dog table scraps, your pet can still raid the trash or grab food off of tables or counters. If you think that your animal is ill or may have ingested a poisonous substance, don’t wait until symptoms occur, contact your local veterinarian or your animal emergency hospital immediately.

Be aware that the following foods are extremely dangerous for dogs:

  • Bread Dough – Raw bread dough that is made with live yeast can be hazardous to dogs because a dog’s stomach provides a warm and moist environment for the yeast to multiply. An expanding mass of dough in your dog’s stomach can be dangerous and can even decrease blood flow to the stomach wall, causing death of tissue. The expanding stomach can also press on your dog’s diaphragm and make breathing difficult. If your dog ingests raw bread dough, be sure to seek help from a vet immediately.
  • Chocolate – Chocolate contains caffeine and other toxins, which are poisonous to dogs. Call your veterinarian or an emergency pet clinic immediately if your dog has eaten chocolate. Only a veterinarian can properly diagnose the seriousness of the toxicity and treat the problem.
  • Ethanol or Drinking Alcohol – Dogs are much more sensitive to alcohol than humans. Alcohol intoxication in dogs will usually cause vomiting, loss of coordination and disorientation. In severe cases a dog can go into a coma, experience seizures and even die.
  • Grapes and Raisins – Though some dogs can safely ingest grapes or raisins, recent studies have associated this fruit with kidney failure in dogs. Some dogs eat these fruits and experience no ill effects—but then eat them later on and become very ill. It is not clear why some dogs can eat these fruits without harm, while others develop life-threatening problems after eating even a few grapes or raisins, so it’s simply safer to avoid feeding them to your furry friend. If you suspect your dog has eaten any grapes or raisins, please seek emergency veterinarian help immediately.
  • Macadamia Nuts – Just a few of these is enough to make your doggy very sick.
  • Xylitol – This sweetener is often found in sugar-free gum and is extremely toxic to dogs. Even small amounts of xylitol can cause hypoglycemia (low blood sugar), seizures, liver failure or even death in dogs. If your doggy has ingested a product that contains xylitol, have it examined by a veterinarian as soon as possible.


If your dog eats something that it is not supposed to, it is important that you speak with a vet immediately. The team at Crossroads Animal Emergency can help you determine the best course of treatment after your dog has ingested any of the above poisonous foods.

Contact Us

Crossroads Animal Emergency

Location

11057 Rosecrans Ave Norwalk, CA 90650

Clinic Hours

Monday – Friday: Open all night from 6 PM to 8 AM
Saturday, Sunday, and Holidays: Open 24 hours