Experiencing a pet emergency? Call us at 562-863-2522 or Get Directions

Our hospital will remain open during the COVID-19 pandemic. Learn More

What Foods Can Be Toxic To Cats?

Share

One of the most frightening things that can happen to a pet owner is realizing that a pet is sick because of eating something that is potentially toxic. Even if your pet is not yet showing symptoms of poisoning after eating something they shouldn’t have, it is important to transport the animal immediately to a vet for evaluation. If the problem occurs outside of regular office hours, you may need to find an emergency veterinarian like those at Crossroads Animal Emergency.


Avoid These Foods For Cats


Cats tend to avoid poisonous foods and substances more easily than dogs. However, there are some foods and substances that can be dangerous for your cat, and many of them are the same as those that are dangerous to dogs. Foods and substances that cats should avoid include:

  • Never allow any animal to ingest alcohol in any form. As little as one tablespoon of drinking alcohol can cause serious distress to your cat.
  • Like dogs, cats can experience serious problems when they ingest chocolate. The chemical theobromine is in all chocolate but is most concentrated in dark forms. Caffeine, which is another ingredient in chocolate, can also cause distress in cats, so be sure to keep your pet away from tea, coffee and other drinks that contain it.
  • Surprisingly, some cats cannot digest lactose. Milk is appropriate only when it comes from a nursing mother. Avoid giving your cat other dairy products as well, including ice cream, cheese and butter.
  • Raw meat, eggs, fish and fat. While cats may love a piece of raw chicken or fish, or a raw egg, these foods can contain E. coli or Salmonella, dangerous forms of bacteria. Excess fat can also cause pancreatitis.
  • Onions and garlic. All members of the onion and garlic family are mildly toxic to cats, but an overdose can be fatal. Be sure to keep these vegetables away from your pet.
  • The flowers of the lily plant, as well as the stems and leaves, are highly poisonous to cats and can lead to fatality in a short period of time. Be sure to keep your pet away from areas where lilies are grown.
  • Many medicines. Many medicines, including over-the-counter drugs such as Aspirin or Ibuprofen, are toxic as well so be sure to always keep medicine out of your pet’s reach and never, ever give your pet medicine that has not been specifically prescribed to them by a vet.

What Happens If My Cat Eats Something Dangerous?


If your cat eats something that could harm her, it is very important for you to seek medical treatment immediately. Do not wait. There is nothing you can do from home to help your pet and the longer the substance is in your pet’s system, the more they will suffer, upping the chance the situation will require increased treatment or could be lethal. You should seek emergency treatment for your pet right away. At Crossroads Animal Emergency, we are experienced in treating pets that have eaten something that has made them sick and will be sure that your pet is taken care of compassionately and professionally.


Contact Us

Crossroads Animal Emergency

Location

11057 Rosecrans Ave Norwalk, CA 90650

Clinic Hours

Monday – Friday: Open all night from 6 PM to 8 AM
Saturday, Sunday, and Holidays: Open 24 hours